Schmolde is a peaceful, tiny village southeast of Meyenburg. The landscape is characterised by vast fields, meadows and forests. Not far from Schmolde the Stepenitz has its source. It is a small nice river, running through the idle countryside completing its perfect beauty, running on and on to the Elbe.
The village was mentioned for the first time in 1325 written "Zmolde". The whole area around Meyenburg belonged to the property of family von Rohr, whose descendants controlled this region until 1872. In the local chronicle it is said that between 1576 and the beginning of the Thirtyyears-war in 1618 the village was inhabited by 35 peasants and one blacksmith. Caused through the war the number of inhabitants decreased significantly, not more than 8 people survived in Schmolde. However, after the war ended, many people immigrated into this beautiful region with its fertile soils. Till 1686 only 13 farms remained empty, but in 1719 all of them were in use again. About 100 years later Schmolde had developed to a small village consisting of 113 houses, several barns and cowsheds and a forge. Due to some severe fire disasters, Schmolde had to be rebuild in 1852. The new village in figures - 76 houses, 108 barns, stables and cowsheds, 2 forges, 1 windmill and 1 locksmith's shop. Until 1913 the number of houses increased to 122. In the times of GDR the agricultural production cooperation settled there. Today Schmolde is a peaceful tiny village, a typical village of the Prignitz.